I hear this a lot from clients:
YES, SWEETEST COUPLE AND AMAZING PHOTOGRAPHER ... BUT THE DETAILS WERE CRAP
Let's fix ^^ that.
If you know you have a sh*tty wedding coming up ... and a sh*tty wedding could be any of the following:
- Non existent details
- Poorly lit venue
- Ugly details
- Ugly reception room
All of that can be fixed as long as you and the photographer are on the same page ... and if you are the photographer!!?? Pffffft!!! No problemo!! We can have this solved in a jiffy.
STEP 1 - Create your 'un-sh*t it' kit
My kit would include:
- Some bomb-ass ribbon ... like Froufrou Chic <<
- Pretty papers for laying invitations, rings, shoes, etc on ... I get mine from Paper Source
- Lace or some other really pretty fabric that matches your target market and what they love
- A sign with super pretty calligraphy ... you can find those HERE by Pirouette Paper Company
- A beautiful ring box or a few in different colors ... like The Mrs. Box
- A thick blanket with a lot of texture - I'd go to Pottery Barn or somewhere with higher end fabrics so it looks amazing and I'd get a dark grey and a soft ivory or white
- A velvet pillow or two
- Fresh greenery or some textured flowers << obviously, these would need to be purchased the day of the sh*tty wedding
I'm sure there are lots of things you could bring, but the point of the kit is to use it for things you CAN CONTROL ... for instance:
- Shoe images
- Ring images
- Invitation images
- Bouquet images
- Floral arrangement images
- Boutonniere images (please tell me I spelled that right ...)
STEP 2 - FIND THE GOOD LIGHT
Even if you are at a sh*tty venue you can find good light ... gather the details from the bride or wedding that you want to use for 'good detail' shots and go on a 'light finding' adventure ... if you are worried about time then do some scouting the days leading up to figure out which windows would be good or where you can easily get to outside ... make sure you ask the bride and groom for their full invitation suite so you can photograph it!!
Once you find the good light take our your 'un-sh*t it' kit and get to styling!!!
STEP 3 - STYLE USING CURRENT TRENDS
If your goal is to attract your target market or get this wedding featured, you will need to
Disguise the 'sh*tty' venue or the sh*tty details with styling of your own!! Basically ANY details you know people are going to be looking for when they see your images - people would be potential clients in your market or editors of blogs and magazines ... if you are unsure of what your target market is looking for?? Go to your FAVORITE wedding blogs and see what those editors are picking ... what style of photo and photography they covet ... and learn from that.
If it were me, I'd take everything to the same GOOD LIGHT with my amazing styling kit and style the sh*t outta it!! This means taking:
- The bride's shoes
- The table arrangement ... yes, borrow one and take to better light if you have a poorly lit reception room
- The bouquets
- The invitations
- The rings
Basically ANYTHING you feel would make a darling detail with your kit << take it and make it support YOUR BRAND.
WHAT IF MY BRIDE HATES PRETTY THINGS??
Fine!! Then you need to double your work to protect your future. Take sh*tty photos for her sake and still take the pretty photos for yours.
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF WORK
^^ if you really feel that way, then I can't help you ... don't complain about your portfolio being filled with bad details that don't support your target market if you aren't willing to put in the extra work to SAVE YOURSELF and START attracting your target client.